The United States Medical Licensing Exam – information about the test can be found on the www.usmle.org website
Step 1 – obtain a USMLE/ECFMG identification number:
- Read the instructions and click next
- Click “no, I have never submitted an application to ECFMG for any examination”
- Use your FULL NAME to register as it appears on the piece of ID that you will take to write the exam (similar to writing the MCAT)
Step 2 – wait for ECFMG to email you your USMLE/ECFMG identification number (usually takes between one day and one week) and one-time password
Step 3 – Once you have received your number and one-time password, follow the link in the email provided. Follow the steps to create a new password. From the home page, click the button in the middle of the page to begin the application for certification, fill out the information regarding name etc and check all the agreement boxes. Click Submit. You will have to pay 135$ US at this stage.
Step 4 – Wait to receive an email that Form 186 (Certification of Identification) form is ready. Login to ECFMG and download this as a pdf. Follow the link at the top of this PDF in order to make a NotaryCam appointment by uploading the BLANK Form 186 PDF and scanned JPEG of your passport (or form of ID you used in step 1 above) in the corresponding sections. Submit.
Step 5– Wait to receive an email from NotaryCam. You can either select to do the video chat at that moment or schedule it for another time. All you will need is your passport and a computer or smart phone with video and microphone capabilities. You can do a diagnostic test of your device using their link in the email. Google Chrome is suggested.
Step 6 – For your NotaryCam appointment, follow the safe link they provide you with. You will be asked to create a password and then it will bring you to a live chat with the Notary. They may send a quick chat message to you to turn on your camera. They will walk you through all the steps, asking you to show them your passport and click a few buttons. It is advised to look ‘professional’ in this appoint as they do require a picture of you.
Step 7– Wait for ECFMG email for the next step, it may take up to 10 days. Follow the link in the email to the ECFMG website, sign in, and under “Being a New Application” click on “USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK and/or Step 2 CS”
- This is the step where you will pay for the exam, but you will not be able to schedule the exam until later on
- You do have to pick a three month period that you wish to write the exam in:
- Most students will pick the period of August – October of the following summer
- Note: use your Canadian SIN # in the section where it asks for National ID, leave the US SIN # blank, unless you are American of course
Step 8 – Wait for ECFMG to send you an email notifying you that you have a permit to schedule the examination. This will occur either once they have processed your application or no more than six months before the first date of your scheduling block.
Step 9 – Access your scheduling permit and print/save it for later. **You will need a hard copy of this permit form to bring to your exam.**
Step 10 – Visit the prometric website to schedule your test date.
- You will need your scheduling number and to remember how to spell your last name
Step 11 – Start/continue studying…